by Department Communications, Marketing and Events — posted on Mar 11, 2020 07:05 PM — last modified Mar 12, 2020 10:09 AM
Start of the lecture period during the summer semester postponed – all public events will be cancelled
Due to the increase of infected people and the further spread of the coronavirus in Germany the Berlin Senate has introduced a number of urgent measures for Berlin universities and institutions of higher education. The joint task force of universities and non-university institutions is taking up their work under the leadership of the Permanent Secretary for Higher Education and Research.
Among these measures is the postponement of the start of the lecture period during the summer semester for all institutions of higher education until April 20th 2020 as well as the cancellation of all public events, conferences and conventions until the end of the lecture period on July 20th 2020. This directive also applies to events organised by third parties at the universities. Research work and administrative work are not affected and will continue. At the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin the Task Force Pandemic will coordinate these and other measure as well as prepare their implementation and review further extensions if needed.
In detail the Senate Chancellery – Higher Education and Research has directed the following:
- The Departments for Teaching and Learning of all institutions of higher education must prepare the possible postponement of teaching as well exams or the possible abbreviation of the semester. Amongst others, appropriate measures are the organisation of block seminars or the increased use of online formats for teaching.
- During the non-lecture period all classroom-based events are cancelled. This also applies to language courses. The Computer and Media Service of the Humboldt-Universität is currently reviewing possible ways to offer lectures online.
- The Departments for Student Services at all institutions of higher education must assess under consideration of the current risk situation and the respective guidelines from the Robert Koch-Institute if exams can be taken in the period until July 20th 2020. The decision regarding state examinations will ensue in coordination with the Senate Chancellery for Justice, Health and Education. The completion of current or planned internship as part of studies is dependable on the directives of the respective institution.
- Official trips as well study and research trips to risk areas as defined by the Robert Koch-Institute are prohibited.
- All students, researchers and employees of scientific institution who are returning from such risk areas, are required to carry out a 14-days self-quarantine.
You will receive regular updates on the situation at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.